Wednesday 23 January 2013

Conceptual Portraiture: Proposal


Proposal:

For my fashion project my concept is to do underwater photography because its pushing boundaries and I think its perfect for my idea. 
My idea is to copy Horst P Horst's photography style where he accentuates ladies elegance and gracefulness by their body contours of the poses.
I researched into underwater fashion photography and saw that most of the models were in dresses which made me want to have my models in dresses so underwater they float and and show gentleness.
I also researched underwater fashion photography tips and found that one way to make it more interesting was to have props. I was thinking of some props to take but keep them feminine. I decided to take some long gloves ( in black and white), a feather boa, masquerade masks, ribbons and beads. 























At first I didn't know how I was going to be able to achieve my idea, so I thought of other ideas for a back up. I still wanted to stick with the water theme so another idea would be to go to the beach and take some photographs there but I wasn't too keen on this idea as I preferred underwater photography more and thought it would have looked better.
I started researching into the equipment used in underwater photography such as housings and additional flashes when I came across waterproof camera bags and decided to purchase one to try it out. I still need a location for my photo shoot and luckily one of my dad's work friends is a scuba diver instructor at the John Charles Sports Centre and he said he would let me take my photographs there as long as he'd teach me how to use the scuba diving equipment first. The schedule of the night was arrive before 8 then be taught to use the equipment until half past 8 then take my photographs until ten o clock. 
Before my first photo shoot I stumbled across a photographer called David Hofmann on Instagram who photographs dancers. On his website there are more photographs that he has taken. The poses influenced me because I thought some of them would be quite easy to recreate in water. 


















I decided to draw up a list of poses that I wanted so that I wouldn't forget any that were in my mind and to be organised when taking my photographs but also to show my models what kind of poses instead of trying to describe them. 












I thought I would only get one chance at this so I wanted to take a photograph then get out of the pool to check it and if it wasn't right then go retake it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment