Thursday 31 January 2013

Conceptual Portraiture: Evalutation


When we were given a fashion project I was dreading it because I'm not really into fashion but after seeing lots of fashion photographs different styles I was feeling a bit better about the project. It was really fun learning about old fashioned camera's and I wanted to use them for my final project. I was inspired by Horst P Horst because of his feminine photographs.
My first idea was to do some underwater fashion photography and I decided to stick with it because it'd be good for experience and I wanted to do something which wasn't normal and break boundaries but this meant I wouldn't have been able to use a medium format or large format camera.
The difficult part of doing underwater photography was finding a place which would let me take pictures. But my dad's friend was a scuba diver and he was able to let me photograph in a swimming pool. But I was disappointed in myself that I messed up my photographs by them being out of focus and grainy. After showing my images in a class critique my images being out of focus and grainy matched olden day photography as it wasn't perfected which made me feel a bit better about my images but still terrible that I would fail the project. I decided I wanted to try again but this time at least get my images in focus. That would have to be the final time to perfect it because of the project ending soon and then the issue of doing the shoot on a weekend was better for my model and me. 
My second shoot was brilliant as my images came out as I wanted them to so that was a big relief for me. The surface of the water played a bit part in my photographs as they helped capture contrast and portray the element of water.  I was finally happy that I had accomplished what I imagined when we were told we had a fashion project. 
I was very pleased with my outcome for this project because I was pleased that I managed to shoot underwater but also because I think I managed to capture the Horst P Horst femininity of my models. 

No comments:

Post a Comment