Thursday 18 October 2012

Abstract Fear: Task 5

Planning a layout for my installation

Exhibition Space 





This is what I want my installation to look like. I want my installation to look like a living room mainly because of the fact because I was bringing my own television then ideas of furniture came into my mind. I wanted my installation to interact with the viewers because that is what an installation should do so I envisioned chairs in front of the television where they would sit to watch the video and take in the atmosphere. I originally wanted to bring a DVD player to play my video but I found a television with a DVD slot in it so that saved a bit of room on my table for some lamps. As most of our furniture is still in boxes as we are still in the process of redoing our house we couldn't find any lamps so I went onto the Ikea website and found some lovely small table lamps which would go perfectly on my table.
I also wanted to replicate a trashed room with maybe boards around the space and write some things onto the boards or then take pictures of a trashed room and have them printed onto the boards for the installation space but thought it might be a bit hard to do so I decided to just use cut out footprints in the space. 
I originally wanted cut out hand shapes made from acetate paper on the windows trying to replicate a photograph of hand prints on a mirror. The cloudiness on the mirror was something I wanted to include on the acetate paper but I had no idea how to do this technique. Then I remembered my mum did a similar technique on our porch window, where she used white gloss and white spirit with a stencil cut out and used a stippling brush to dab the liquid onto the glass. She showed me how to do this on acetate paper where I used a thick paint brush and dipped it into the white gloss and white spirit then dabbed it all over my acetate paper and waited for it to dry. Then I put the liquid onto my mums hand with a paintbrush and let her make a hand print into the acetate paper because her hands are bigger than mine (and I also used her hands for the mirror picture). This technique worked quite well that I decided to do these hand prints all over the acetate paper instead of cutting them out. As I only had two pieces of acetate paper my mum suggested we used laminate paper for more hand prints to see how they would turn out. But as the laminate paper was already cloudy there was no need to frost the paper instead I made more hand prints with the white spirit and white gloss.  As well as making weird hand shaped prints we also scratched into the gloss which was a wonderful technique and was used more than once. This was an experimental technique and I didn't know how it would look in the end but I was very pleased with it.













No comments:

Post a Comment